DCamCapture is a small tool to copy images from a Nikon DSLR to a computer during shooting. Currently it only runs on MS Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.This tool was the result of playing around with the Nikon SDKs.
Windows 7: I tested DCamCapture with my D300 on Windows 7 and it works. Windows 7 starts automatically an application that grabs the camera. Take care that you have closed this application before starting DCamCapture. Only one application can have access to the camera. Please send me your experience with Windows 7 and DCamCapture.
If the application doesn't detect a camera or hangs at startup, e.g. with a connected D80 or D200, run the application in "compatibility mode to Vista Service Pack 2".
- Copies images during shooting
- Start Image capture
- Timer to capture image sequences
- LiveView with image capture and video recording (MJPEG in AVI file) function
- Writing IPTC data in Bibble 4 files (*.bib)
- Battery charge state
- Application window always on top option
- D40, D40x, D60, D80, D90
- D5000, D7000
- D200, D300, D300s, D700
- D3, D3s, D3x
Older cameras works only with an installed Nikon Capture Control (latest release). An expired test installation is ok. Nikon D3000 and D3100 can't be controlled via the USB interface.
How to use:
To use the application you have to select the "Kameramodell". Plug the camera to the computer in PTP mode and connect ("Auswählen") the application. The application stores all images from the camera into the selected folder ("Aufnahmeverzeichnis") with the file name and index from "Dateiname-Prefix". "Auslösen" releases the kamera shuter and with the timer option you can start capture images sequences immediately or at a given time.
The live view support is very limmited. You can only record the live view images to an AVI file with MJPEG encode images. Resolution is 640 x 426 with 15 fps.
Enter your image information within the IPTC dialog.
"Set as Default" saves a default daataset, "Load Defaults" reloads default data into the dialog controls.
Open the config dialog with the menu command "File ->Config...".
The config dialog supports two functions: Language selection for IPTC country names and enable logfile with path selection.
Please reload the install package if you downloaded if before the 16th of may 2012. Due to a silly mistake the installer contained the previous version!
- D5100, D800(E) and D4 support
- remove fix "-" before file index
- some small corrections
- Fix LiveView for Nikon D7000.
- LiveView image scales now with application window.
- Experimental external trigger via COM port DTR pin (untested!)
- Fix for the capture timer time control.
- Capture Timer: Minimum time between to images set to 1s.
- Capture Timer: Increase max count of imges to 4 billions
- Small GUI corrections
- Support for Nikon D3s
- Experimental support for older cameras (D1, D2, D100, D70, D50). It requires the lastest version of Nikon Capture Control installed. An expired test version is ok. I tested this function with a D70.
- Camera selection removed
- Error correction for detached cameras
- Support for Nikon D300s
- New Autofocus function
- Autofocus in Liveview hand held mode
- Improved camera selection
- Improved image transfer
- Fixed live view record function
- Some small bugfixes
- Support for Nikon D5000 (new sdk file also for D90, please test)
- Some small bugfixes
- Optimized LiveView support
- LiveView support for D90
- Image capture D200 fixed
- optimized GUI (e.g. LiveView available only for supported cameras)
- App window size and position saved
- Online check for updates
- Optional german country names in IPTC data
- Logfile function
- Extended error handling
- some minor fixes
- Capture in Liveview mode
- Optional writing of IPTC data in Bibble 4 format (*.bib files)
- Timer option "Start after x seconds"
- RAW + JPEG: both images now saved with same index.
- Improved automatic disconnect
- Small Improvements
- E-Mai and Web link within about Dialog
- Automatic camera connect/disconnect
- New image filename configuration
- Live View with record function
- Extended error handling
- Colored battery state
- English userinterface
DCamCature is a freeeware tool. The current state is alpha and the application isn't tested very well.Therefore the author didn't liable for any errors or defects, especially for lost images, not captured images ans camera defects. You are not allowed to use the application if you didn't aggree.
It is not allowed to distribute the application without permission of the author. Even if the distribution is for free.
Please install this application with administrator rights!
Version 0.9.7.0, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7
The contact e-mail address: dcamcapture [at] bernd-peretzke dot de.
Stefan Hafeneger has developed a similary application for Apple computer.